Netanya Castillo, Features Writer
Are you a WGSS Senior who is dynamic, organized and committed? Then you should consider running for Student Council! Every year around this time, students look forward to the Senior Student Council Elections. From the memes plastered throughout the halls to the catchy slogans across the library window panes, this election is definitely one you won’t want to miss.
Now is the time to make your mark and try out for one of the positions. The senior positions are as follows: 1 Student Council President (Grade 12), 1 Vice President (Grade 11/12), 3 Grade Representatives (Both 11/12), and 1 ESL Representative (Grade 10/11/12). For all of those positions, you must be elected by the student body. Once elected as a representative, the Grade 12 Reps have the opportunity to run for the President position.
“Student Council has taught me how to become a better leader, to be brave and that it’s okay to share your thoughts. I’ve really enjoyed my time serving as a Grade Rep, and encourage others to step forward. You won’t regret it!”
~ Grade 11 Representative
- Attend one of the information meetings as posted – Wednesday & Thursday, May 10 & 11 in Room 206 @ Lunch
- Make sure you qualify – read the information carefully
- Hand in your NOMINATION FORM to Mr. Radford (Sponsor Teacher) by the due date: May 19
- Submit your 1 PAGE CAMPAIGN BIO, DIGITAL PLATFORM (with photo) and full-size POSTER BOARD (with photo) to Mr. Radford by the due date
The Qualifications Checklist:
(Grade Reps, ELL Rep, Chairperson and Secretary)
- Be a full-time student of the school.
- Be a conscientious academic student.
- Have a good attendance record.
- Commit EVERY MONDAY after school from 3:00-4:30 for entire school year
- Have exhibited exemplary school citizenship in previous academic years with no behaviour contracts, suspensions or expulsions.
- Have nominations forms and platforms completed on time.
- Agree to read the Student Council Constitution and be prepared to abide by it.
Still not convinced? Maybe some background information about Student Council will persuade you. WGSS Student Council is a group of like-minded students (chosen by students) who run activities and spirit days throughout the school year. Some of the events they’ve held in the past are shown to the left of this paragraph. That being said, Student Council is also in charge of approving events from other clubs and organizations within WGSS.
“In student council you get a unique perspective of all the clubs and events going on throughout the school. The valuable relationships/friendships you make within Student Council are incredible!”
~ Jennifer McPhail, Student Council President
However, that isn’t to say that you can’t be involved even if you’re not in Student Council. If you have an idea for an activity, game, or spirit day, run it past the WGSS Student Council and they might just put your proposal into motion! They meet every Monday at 3:00 PM in Room 241. Also, don’t forget to vote!
Best of luck on your Senior Student Council Election campaigning adventures!